العودة   مصر موتورز مجتمع السيارات > السيارات الكورية والماليزية > كيا KIA > KIA News Archive

KIA News Archive ارشيف اخبار كيا من المواقع العالمية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 17-06-2011, 08:36 PM
ahmed_7erzon ahmed_7erzon غير متواجد حالياً

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2011
المشاركات: 618
ahmed_7erzon will become famous soon enough
افتراضي 2011 Kia Sorento SX AWD Review

In this time of way too much choice, it is sometimes nice to have someone tell you what to do. We surf the web profusely, purchase consumer magazines and are always seeking out information and council. It's an odd thing when we think about it: we demand choice and options but typically have no idea what we want or what to get...

Deep down, we all want to be told what do at some point in time. When it comes to what will commonly be the second largest purchase of our lives, we can never be too informed. Or can we? For this review, I won't tell you to buy this vehicle, however, I will strongly attempt to convince you that seriously considering the Sorento as your next crossover is right.

The discussion begins with pricing, the #1 consideration amongst consumers. The Sorento's base price of just under $24,000 actually puts it mid-pack or less expensive than lesser crossovers, make that smaller. Talk about value.

Aha! I used to get irritated with this term because, not so long ago, the “v” word was synonymous with “cheap”. “The car may look like a festering corpuscle and drive like a three-legged camel but it's a great value”. That pretty much summed up what your average car buyer expected from a value-laden product. Although the lingo is still current, the definition has changed. At least where Kia is concerned.

Straight up, the new Sorento is very handsome. It stands tall and proud as Kia's top-seeded “truck” and it looks the part. Regardless of trim, the big Kia's front fascia is determined and self-assured. If you tick the box for an EX or an SX, alloys become larger, exterior accents become brighter and the truck carries itself with even more poise.

Segment lines can be blurred between compact and midsize CUVs/SUVs. This means that the Sorento competes against the likes of the Toyota 4Runner, Chevrolet Equinox, Ford Edge and Nissan Murano. As you can see, the Kia is up against trucks and “tall cars”. Depending on personal tastes, one may not want something as upright as the Toyota or as flowing as the Nissan. The Sorento happens to be a perfect blend of both designs. That's win-win.

More points are awarded for the cabin which has a very German aura, with dark colours, high-end textures and control layout to please both the tekkies and discerning buyers. The tested top-of-the-line SX featured push-button start, a navigation system with reverse camera, leather and numerous other gadgets that today's crowds are looking for in a vehicle. And the price is not in excess of $50k.

The craftsmanship impresses for a “simple” Kia but this has become the norm for this Korean manufacturer. Drop by a dealership and take a peak inside the Sportage, Forte and the up-coming Optima. Yes, this is Kia.

Among the few niggles that emerged after a few minutes or days of living with the Sorento, the following became apparent: The driving position was always a little off. Korean manufacturers are still, for the most part, struggling with getting North American proportions right. Even with a tilt-telescoping steering wheel, I could never get the right mix of comfort and control. Next, to the left of the wheel is a cluster of buttons in the lower portion of the dash. Included here is the rear-wiper switch which is incidentally hidden from view by the very thing that the driver's hands should be on. Perhaps with more practice, I would have consistently located the control but even so, it would have always been out of reach, requiring a good stretch.

Seating in the Sorento can accommodate up to seven passengers. The rear-most bench is, as always, reserved for children. The other five spots offer up plenty of room and comfort. The front seats could use a tad more thigh support but that's it. And the trunk is large. No cramping up or complaining here.

If you purchase a basic Sorento, you'll get a 2.4L 4-cylinder. Its 175 hp are up to the task of urban commuting but do not expect a rocket. Hey, if Toyota offers a 4-cylinder engine in its massive Sienna minivan, it can and does work here.

For a few grand more, you land a potent 3.5L V6. With 276 hp and a capable 6-speed automatic transmission, the Sorento actually becomes a rocket, just in the case that street-light racing was important to you. This engine is refined and smooth, exactly unlike other past V6s made available at Kia and Hyundai. Fuel consumption is decent. I averaged 12L/100 km over a week's time. Given the size and power of the truck, this is as good or better than most of its competitors.

Incidentally, it is possible to improve on those numbers. I chose to drive with the standard ECO mode switched off. When on, there is a noticeable “choke” on the throttle, forcing either to mash harder on the go pedal or letting things be. My guess is that I could have improved my average by about 10%.

The Sorento's powertrain is equal or superior to what the competition has to offer. Are you starting to get the picture? In road-holding and driving enjoyment, the Kia has nothing to envy from the others except perhaps ride quality on broken surfaces.

The suspension does soak up craters and potholes better than its smaller sibling, the Sportage, but would benefit from going to Ford Edge School for Smooth Rides. The upside is that the Kia enjoys better steering response, crisper handling with a sportier edge to the driving experience.

At $40,895, my tested SX AWD 7-passenger is not inexpensive, unless you consider the coinage required to purchase a full-load Toyota RAV4 (no navigation) or Volkswagen Tiguan, both needing between $37,000 and $41,000 for equivalent levels of kit. Pound for pound, it doesn't add up.

As a better comparison, for $31,795, the EX-V6 Sorento is impossible to beat. It gets leather seats, 18” wheels and a slew of other goodies. Once again, stacked up to the CR-V, Tiguan and Murano, there is no better value.

In the end, the only obstacle that faces the Sorento remains the fact that it carries the Kia logo. For some, this is a turn-off. For those willing to give the vehicle a chance, they will realize that they were glad they did not overlook the Kia.
رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML متاحة

الانتقال السريع

MasrMotors غير مسؤول عن أي اتفاق تجاري أو تعاوني بين الأعضاء
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر عن رأي MasrMotors ولا نتحمل أي مسؤولية قانونية حيال ذلك ويتحمل كاتبها مسؤولية النشر

الساعة الآن 11:51 AM.