العودة   مصر موتورز مجتمع السيارات > السيارات الكورية والماليزية > Hyundai هيونداى > HYUNDAI News Archive

HYUNDAI News Archive ارشيف اخبار هيونداى من المواقع العالمية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 17-06-2011, 06:18 AM
ahmed_7erzon ahmed_7erzon غير متواجد حالياً

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2011
المشاركات: 618
ahmed_7erzon will become famous soon enough
افتراضي 2011 Hyundai Equus First Impressions

If I told you about a car manufacturer that sent a specially trained sales manager to your home or office to present their flagship automobile, you’d probably assume that I was talking about a worldclass car company.

And if I said that upon buying the car—which can be facilitated during the same visit—you’d be provided with a 1-800 number as a single point of contact for anything to do with the car—such as a one-on-one orientation or maintenance scheduling and valet service—the name Maybach may come to mind.

And how about receiving an i-Pad loaded with a special application to connect you with your new vehicle and the dealership? Given the totality of the forgoing, last on your “could be” list is likely to be Hyundai, but as of this fall “Hyundai” is the correct answer.

Fires of Change
For the most part, the nameplate “Hyundai” has been associated in North America with frugality and sensibility. The introduction of the upscale Genesis sedan in 2009 ignited fires of change, and they have been burning brightly ever since.

The next combustible to intensify the game-changing flame is the Equus. Hyundai is in the process of removing the wraps from this premium-level full size luxury sedan, which shall become the flagship of their highly diversified fleet.

The one characteristic this wide array of wheels share is that of value, and the Equus intends to build on that virtue where it is in short supply—at the high-end of the market. In other words: Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Lexus and the rest, including the domestics, had better sit up and take notice.

Hyundai has no delusions of grandeur about outselling any of the foregoing in this rarified field; that’s simply not going to happen—well not yet that is. According to John Vernile, Vice President of Marketing for Hyundai Canada, “in building the Equus, we’re sending a message to Canadians that we are a tier-one manufacturer.”

No doubt that message is intended for the industry as well. Clearly, Hyundai wants to shed any likeness of its former self. Based on what they’ve recently delivered and what’s in the pipeline, their renaissance is well underway.

More opulence for less affluence
The cornerstone of Hyundai’s tier-one philosophy is value; Canadians in fact rate them as the “value” leader within the segments they occupy. With an MSRP expected to be in the $60K range, the opulent Equus will compete head-to-head in a segment that’s new to Hyundai—and perhaps somewhat unexpected.

Hyundai benchmarked the Mercedes-Benz S550 in developing the Equus, which is expected to compete directly with Lexus LS460 and other entrants in the premium luxury segment.

The list of content accompanying an Equus is far too extensive to detail here but suffice to say that it’s equally as comprehensive as one would find in cars costing tens of thousands more. The only real option is the selection of the Ultimate trim level, which adds executive-class rear seating that includes a reclining chair with a foot rest along with a Shiatsu massage feature and full audio and HVAC controls.

Equus pricing will enable CEOs to exercise restraint without the loss of privilege. And whether occupying the driver’s seat or the executive perch, privilege includes a first class ride.

Power and performance
Hyundai provided the attending critics with the opportunity to push the Equus hard through the undulating canyon roads of California’s coast. This experience provided a wide range of driving conditions and road surfaces to put the Equus through its paces in the same way that journalists might challenge a Mercedes-Benz or BMW flagship. And I can tell you that the Equus impressed.

To begin with, its opulent cabin is beautifully assembled using upscale materials, including real wood inlays. From this spacious living area, the car eagerly demonstrates its ability to coddle occupants while swiftly transporting them in near silence.

A 4.6-litre Tau DOHC V8-engine supplies propulsion. It produces 385 remarkably quiet horsepower along with 333 pound-feet of torque, the combined force of which flows through a ZF 6-speed automatic transmission.

It should be noted though that some competitors in this segment are now using seven and eight speed autoboxes. Additionally, the Equus is not equipped with shift paddles—although I don’t consider that to be much of a deficit.

Nonetheless, this powertrain has proven itself in the Hyundai Genesis. It has been re-tuned to generate ten additional horsepower in the Equus. A stomp of the throttle brought about more “get up and go” than I expected given the size and substance of the Equus; it can really move, both off the line and in the passing lane. Look for a zero-to-100kph time in the mid 6-second range.

It’s important to note that at present, the Equus is strictly a rear-wheel-drive vehicle. Hyundai’s fairly vague on when an all-wheel-drive configuration may find its way beneath the sculpted body.

The coddle and corner
There’s little doubt that Hyundai intended the Equus to spoil its occupants with a smooth controlled ride, which it does. The entire structure feels very solid yet supple over bumps. A driver-activated Sport mode stiffens the suspension arrangement a moderate degree to improve the vehicle’s handling capability.

Frankly, I didn’t find a need to engage the Sport mode, even through the twistiest sections of California pavement—and believe me I wasn’t nursing the Equus through the corners, quite the opposite actually. I did however find steering feedback to be of the artificial nature. Steering dynamics in the German flagships communicate with greater clarity, engaging the driver more effectively.

Still in all, the Equus makes a fine touring car whether shooting down an arrow-straight ribbon of tarmac or athletically winding through precipitous mountain switchbacks.

Equus delectus
There are many delectable aspects to the Equus that confirm it as a wise choice for lovers of all things premium. Those individuals will acquire themselves a highly capable machine that can stand fender to fender with the big boys while leaving tens of thousands to invest elsewhere or to spend in lands exotic.

Those astute owners will receive the royal treatment from a Korean car company that’s just fired a warning shot across some pretty prestigious bows.
رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML متاحة

الانتقال السريع

MasrMotors غير مسؤول عن أي اتفاق تجاري أو تعاوني بين الأعضاء
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر عن رأي MasrMotors ولا نتحمل أي مسؤولية قانونية حيال ذلك ويتحمل كاتبها مسؤولية النشر

الساعة الآن 11:45 AM.