العودة   مصر موتورز مجتمع السيارات > السيارات الكورية والماليزية > Hyundai هيونداى > HYUNDAI News Archive

HYUNDAI News Archive ارشيف اخبار هيونداى من المواقع العالمية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 17-06-2011, 02:14 AM
ahmed_7erzon ahmed_7erzon غير متواجد حالياً

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2011
المشاركات: 618
ahmed_7erzon will become famous soon enough
افتراضي 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Review

Has it really been only six years since Hyundai Canada president Steve Kelleher told assembled automotive media that the company aimed to be one of the top three within five years?

To our credit, nobody among us snickered, although I can't swear there was no smirking, so intently was I studying the carpet. The plan, he said, was to get rid of all the bean-counters and put the engineers, the designers–the folks who actually know what goes into making a car "good"–in charge.

Certainly, if anyone had told me back then that I'd spend a week driving a Hyundai Elantra and actually be impressed by it… I'd have a hard time holding back the laughter.

At the time, I belonged to a local motorsports club. The single Hyundai fan in the group, the long-suffering owner of a 2003 Elantra, was the source of much ribbing – not only for his rather unorthodox style on the autocross course (which, due to the inordinate amount of frame-flex, involved lifting one rear wheel high off the ground while cornering, much like a dog at a hydrant) but for its voracious consumption of transmission and suspension parts.

Some may think those transgressions should be overlooked, given the strenuous circumstances of most motorsports events. But the majority of us competed in $500, 20-year old beaters and invariably drove them home afterward with no ill effect. That particular Elantra still had a couple of years left owing in car payments. It was a rather odious little car that rather nicely represented what I (and many others) considered a typical Hyundai to be.

But then something happened.

Hyundai introduced the new
Sonata, and the automotive media sat back on its collective haunches in astonishment, pronouncing it "good". Still reeling from the shock, we were probably still in the later stages of denial when the Genesis came along. By this time, we had to admit that something was going on with this upstart company from Korea.

Hyundai had, in fact, started living up to its promises the way we only wish our politicians would.

Of course, now that we've seen the Equus compete against the best of the German luxury brands, and watched sales soar as Hyundai's reputation for good quality cars and one of the best warranties in the business continues to grow, it should come as no surprise that the Elantra, now in its 20th year, should receive such a first-rate makeover.

As a compact sedan, the Elantra belongs to one of the most hotly-contested segments in the industry. It's up against such established competitors as the Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic and Mazda3. And judging from the increasing number of them on the roads, the Elantra's doing more than holding its own.

)

Visually, it's a standout. The "fluidic sculpture" design that previously transformed the larger Sonata looks even better in a scaled-down version. Flowing curves and sharp creases add up to a dramatic presence in a league that often leans toward the nondescript. The drama continues inside the cabin, with a swooping dash that curves into the centre stack and flares at its outer edges to incorporate the doors.

Economy is important in this segment, so there's an abundance of cloth and plastics, yet the attention to detail is obvious. Panels meet with tight gaps, and plastics are nicely textured with a variety of interesting surface lines. My tester is an upper-range $20,999 GLS with cloth-upholstered seats, but they're comfy, well bolstered and, surprisingly, even the rear ones are heated. The GLS trim includes sunroof, auto transmission, air, USB, cruise and all power and safety features.

With a 2,700-mm wheelbase, there's nothing cramped about the Elantra–in fact, it's what used to be considered a mid-size sedan ten years ago.

On the road, the Elantra handles very well, although it's not as sporty as the Mazda3. But there's little body roll and the steering is quick and responsive. Of course, one of the most important aspects of this segment is fuel economy, and I averaged a very impressive (especially considering my leaden foot) 6.8 L/100 km during a week that included a lot of hilly runs through the countryside.

It's not perfect, however. The ride is somewhat on the stiff side, and while that's okay with me, the harshness could be a drawback for some people. There's a lot of noise transmitted into the cabin, mostly through the engine bay, since the 1.8-litre, 148-hp "Nu" engine makes quite a bit of buzzy racket when pushed hard.

A base-model Elantra starts at under $16,000, but piling on the options can put the price over $24,000–which is more expensive than an entry-level Sonata.

Still, having driven both back-to-back, I can't see any compelling reason to move up to the only marginally larger Sonata. It's easy to forget, given its first-rate build quality and stunning looks, that the Elantra is still an economy car. Saving money never looked so good.

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML متاحة

الانتقال السريع

MasrMotors غير مسؤول عن أي اتفاق تجاري أو تعاوني بين الأعضاء
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر عن رأي MasrMotors ولا نتحمل أي مسؤولية قانونية حيال ذلك ويتحمل كاتبها مسؤولية النشر

الساعة الآن 05:55 PM.