العودة   مصر موتورز مجتمع السيارات > منتديات السيارات العامة > سلامتك على الطريق > تقارير اجنبية

تقارير اجنبية خاص بالتقارير الاجنبية والاخبار العالمية المتعلقة بالامان والسلامة المرورية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 20-06-2011, 08:24 AM
ahmed_2011 ahmed_2011 غير متواجد حالياً
التخصص العملى: ترجمة
هواياتي: الرسم

تاريخ التسجيل: Jun 2011
الموقع: القاهرة
المشاركات: 125
ahmed_2011 has a spectacular aura aboutahmed_2011 has a spectacular aura aboutahmed_2011 has a spectacular aura about
افتراضي 2012 Honda Civic First Impressions

There are few cars in this world that strike a chord so deep in the fabric of car owners all over this planet as does the Civic. Others include the Porsche 911, the Volkswagen Beetle, the Willys Jeep and the Mini Cooper.

Seen for the first time 39 years ago, this car was to elevate the Japanese automaker to whole new heights. Sold in numerous body styles with different powertrains, including high-performance ones such as the always-touted Si, the Civic has been a benchmark in the compact car segment for nearly three decades.

The new one is here. The ninth-generation Civic has arrived. The pressure is on.

Is it ever. As the best-selling car in Canada for the last 13 years and this, despite the fact that the current car dates back to 2006, the new Civic has huge shoes to fill. That's six model years, by the way. In this market, you should not be able to get away with this. Honda has but that's behind them now. Or is it?

Initial reactions to the new 2012 Civic have been mixed. I myself was very underwhelmed when I first came into contact with the car in Detroit earlier this year. I was further underwhelmed when technical specs were made public. Call me what you will but this is a Civic, the compact car that all others are measured by, and it looks like the old one and even carries the same powertrains or quite nearly.

Said base engine is the 1.8L 4-cylinder, which is good for 140 hp and 128 lb-ft of torque. Transmissions are also carried forth and they are of the 5-speed variety, manual or automatic. Fine, five are better than four but short of six, which has recently become the norm.

The real question is: Does it matter? On paper and in advertising, it could. But then again, this is a Civic and it sells itself.

Alterations on the new car are very subtle. In fact, from a distance, you'll be hard pressed to notice the physical differences between the 8th and 9th gens. The only modification, if you will, to the body, is that the wheelbase has shrunk by 30 mm. Otherwise, outer dimensions remain identical.

The sheetmetal has been revised but it will take a keen eye to point out that the headlights, taillights and bumpers have seen changes. There are a few extra creases here and there, most notable are those that tie-in with the rear quarters from the rear quarter panels. Alloys and wheel covers are modified but again, from a distance...

What has received the largest amount of attention are the cabin and what you don't see, such as mounting points for certain components.

First, let's go over a few of these improvements. Steering ratio has been optimized for a lighter, more precise feel. If you know your Civics, this, you may observe. Next, new and lightweight materials have been used in strategic areas.

To put into numbers, the 2012 Civic weighs in at a whopping 7% less than the 2011. Both front and rear suspension setups have been revised for improved ride comfort and handling. Stepping out of a 2011 and sliding behind the wheel of a 2012, as I did in identical conditions, the combination of the weight savings and suspension revisions is discernible. The car also behaves in a slightly more refined manner.

The real upgrades, or so Honda would call them, occurred where we spend most of our time; inside. I would have perhaps agreed with Honda that the new dashboard design has something to do with a “smart futuristic cockpit” if I had not sat behind the wheel of the 2011 that was on hand.

It was immediately obvious that the plastics in the new car were not of the same calibre as in the 8th-gen car. Textures, which are at least four in number, are of doubtful taste. Fit and finish are thankfully up to par with what Honda has habituated us. The new “cockpit”, although angled towards the driver, is no longer fluid and inviting as it was in the old car. Boxy flat surfaces replace curves; I'm far from being enthralled with the final result.

The seats, as with all Hondas, are supportive, comfortable and in the car's price range, some of the best generally-speaking. The steering wheel now includes controls for the car's newest and most noteworthy addition, the 5-inch multi-information display located right of the speedometer, in the top portion of the dashboard.

Cool and distracting at the same time, this screen will show all audio functions, driver information, Bluetooth and navigational updates should the car be equipped as such.

Now, about the drive. The new car acts as one would expect it. The 2012 Civic is competent, surefooted and fun to drive. Chassis movements or weight transfers are well controlled and front-end grip is surprising, to say the least, especially when compared to a 2011 Hyundai Elantra and Toyota Corolla.

The let-down is in all-out performance. Where 140 hp was once tops in the category, it is now at or near the bottom of the totem. And it shows. The Elantra, Focus, Jetta 2.5, Mazda3 and a few others seem zippier, more alive. The 5-speed autobox's prevalent job is minding fuel economy and the absence of a manual mode means that the driver is always victimized by the box's one-track mind. It is true that our time behind the wheel was limited, given that there are three engines and four possible powertrain configurations. A week-long test-drive may confirm or not this impression.

The Civic Hybrid was also a recipient of much attention. Underhood is where most of the action took place. A 1.5L now replaces the 1.3L. Power remains virtually unchanged; torque numbers climb slightly to 127 lb-ft from 123. Combined horsepower stands still at 110 but shows up 500 rpm sooner at 5,500.

a first for Honda, is a new lithium-ion battery. Output increases from 15 kW to 20 kW while weight drops compared to the old nickel-metal hydride battery. In order to enhance efficiency, the Hybrid is ever more aerodynamic, with larger under-floor aero-parts which reduce drag.

All this translates into a hybrid car that is more responsive, better on gas and that behaves a little less like a hybrid. Brake-pedal feel has inched closer to that of a normal car as the regenerative brakes are less intrusive. As well, the new battery permits the car to coast on electricity over a longer distance at speeds between 18 and 70 km/h.

What I came away with from this event is a sense that the new Civic is more of an important mid-cycle refresh than a whole new car. The car went under the knife, a nip here and a tuck there, a little liposuction over here and a shot of steroids for good measure, but nothing consequently substantial.

The 2012 Civic is and will be a good car and the work they did will allow Honda to keep the car current for a few more years. My guess is that we can expect a whole-new 10th-generation to arrive sooner than later; the next one will most likely revolutionize the segment. I'm convinced that Honda engineers are already hard at work as you read these lines.

2012 Civic pricing begins at $14,990.
رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML متاحة

الانتقال السريع

MasrMotors غير مسؤول عن أي اتفاق تجاري أو تعاوني بين الأعضاء
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر عن رأي MasrMotors ولا نتحمل أي مسؤولية قانونية حيال ذلك ويتحمل كاتبها مسؤولية النشر

الساعة الآن 02:16 AM.