العودة   مصر موتورز مجتمع السيارات > السيارات الأوروبية > أودي AUDI > Audi News Archive

Audi News Archive ارشيف اخبارى نقلاً عن المواقع العالمية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 18-06-2011, 08:48 AM
ahmed_7erzon ahmed_7erzon غير متواجد حالياً

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2011
المشاركات: 618
ahmed_7erzon will become famous soon enough
افتراضي 2011 Audi A1 Quattro First Impressions

Thanks to sub-zero temperatures and a lack of insulating snow cover, the road track at Mont Tremblant’s Mecaglisse testing facility is an undulating circuit of glistening ice.

So challenging is the surface, that one of two world-class drivers in championship Quattro Rallye cars executes an impromptu 360 degree spin during media ride-alongs.

We’re here for Audi’s “Fascination of Quattro” event, a showcase of new quattro technology as experienced through some of the latest models.

Imagine our surprise that not only would the elusive
compact A1 be present in the flesh (so to speak) but that we’d also have a chance behind the wheel. After making its debut at the Geneva Auto Show, the premium hatchback left the public’s curiosity whetted, and its questions unanswered.

Although it’s based on the
Volkswagen Polo, 2010 World Car of the Year, that is reportedly destined for North America, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll get the entry-level Audi. We North Americans have a hard time wrapping our heads around luxury cars in small packages and the Germans think it would be a tough sell up here – particularly since the A1 made its debut without the revered Audi Quattro system.

The two available testers are prototypes – and surprisingly – we’re allowed to take them on the track. A copper-coloured model sports a contrasting black roof and rear c-pillars.

I learn that my black-on-black 6-speed manual is the personal vehicle of Audi AG President, Rupert Stadler, who’s here for the event. No pressure there.

Resembling a shrunken A3, roughly the size of a Mazda2, the A1 has the swoopy LED headlights of the premium, upper-range models. Although the footprint may be that of an economical budget hatch, inside, all resemblance ends. The cockpit is typical Audi – featuring premium soft-touch materials, the familiar MMI interface and well-bolstered leather seats. Pedals are sporty, drilled aluminum – all three of them.

We’re happy to confirm that the A1 is indeed equipped with Audi’s celebrated quattro all-wheel-drive. The A1’s quattro system (much like the A3 and TT coupe), uses an electronically controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch at the rear axle, which redirects power normally channelled through the front wheels to the rear when needed.

Instead of the adjustable suspension system, the A1’s underpinnings consist of front struts and rear torsion beam. A rumoured “S Line” model promises a more tightly-tuned set of springs and dampers, yet the A1’s suspension is already stiffly sprung.

Resembling a winter rally stage, the icy track slopes uphill and down, winding its way around snow-laden fir trees. By the second lap I’m gaining confidence since the A1 is sure-footed and the electric-assist steering is quick and responsive. Anticipating some understeer on the slippery corners, I’m surprised that there's very little need for corrective countersteer. By re-directing power when it senses slippage, the quattro system helps the A1 stick through even off-camber turns like a fly on a wall. It rides on a slightly wider track than the Polo, adding to the sense of planted stability.

Rumour has it that a twin-turbocharged RS model is in the wings, boasting 180 hp. There are several proffered drivetrains, mated to either a six-speed manual or optional 7-speed dual-clutch transmission with shift paddles. My tester’s turbo-charged 1.4 litre inline four, with 121 hp and 148 lb. ft. of torque feels sufficiently quick – although I’m only using first and second gear on the tight course and there are no long stretches to let it out. It’s reportedly capable of 0-100 km/h in roughly 8.9 seconds and I can only imagine how much fun it would be on a dry road course. Overall, the A1 feels as well-crafted, and as fully capable as any of the more expensive Audis in the lineup.

Small cars have long been a mainstay of European culture, embraced by the affluent as well as the budget-minded. But until North American buyers view them as something other than economical compromises, it’s unlikely we’ll see the A1 arrive on our shores any time soon.

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML متاحة

الانتقال السريع

MasrMotors غير مسؤول عن أي اتفاق تجاري أو تعاوني بين الأعضاء
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر عن رأي MasrMotors ولا نتحمل أي مسؤولية قانونية حيال ذلك ويتحمل كاتبها مسؤولية النشر

الساعة الآن 09:37 PM.