العودة   مصر موتورز مجتمع السيارات > السيارات الأوروبية > أودي AUDI > Audi News Archive

Audi News Archive ارشيف اخبارى نقلاً عن المواقع العالمية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 18-06-2011, 08:40 AM
ahmed_7erzon ahmed_7erzon غير متواجد حالياً

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2011
المشاركات: 618
ahmed_7erzon will become famous soon enough
افتراضي 2012 Audi A1 e-tron First Impressions

For my third instalment of Audi's Electromobility Strategy, I was given the opportunity to briefly drive the very enticing Audi A1 e-tron. For starters, the A1 is an all-new subcompact product from Audi and it is making some serious waves. It's really no mystery as to why this little car has many excited; it's quite the looker, it's got Audi DNA flowing through its veins and, from what I can tell, will be a fine drive as well.

For those that think that Audi does not build subcompact cars, know this: The Audi A1 is nowhere near as bold a move on Audi's behalf as you might envision. Ingolstadt has long since offered small cars, nearly everywhere except, of course, North America. Remember the A2? A few years back, Transport Canada had taken one across our great land for a fuel economy test. Shortly thereafter, Auto123.com got to drive the A2. It was an inspiring experience.

As was this, regardless of how short the experience was. Before I get into what makes the A1 e-tron tick, a little history: the A1 was unveiled as a concept at the 2007 Tokyo auto show and again at the 2008 Paris auto show and finally, as a production car in March of 2010 at the Geneva auto show. The latest news has a 5-door variant expected sometime in mid-2011.

The A1
This is no bottom-end Audi. Upon first look, there are many new A8 styling cues, including the cut off corners on the massive single-frame front grille. Obviously, they differ largely in size but the aura of the flagship is clear around this little car. Depending on the trim and selected options, the A1 can be plainly dressed or decorated with tasteful and ornate alloys, from the wheels to the mirrors.

One of my favourite points is the wrap-around tailgate, first seen on the Q7. When open, the inner ends of the fenders have position lights for traffic. As well, the A1 sports all matters of LEDs in the light housings. All I can say is that LEDs rule! Overall, this is a great-looking car.

Many manufacturers are trying hard to dissimulate the charging ports on their rechargeable cars. Audi has had a solution to that conundrum for decades; push on the four ring logo on the front grille and voilà, it pops open to reveal a socket as well as a small digital screen. Brilliant!

On board, it's much of the same. Their is an intriguing mix of TT, existing A3 and A4 hints and, as always, the materials are exquisite and finish is above and beyond reproach.

A1 + e-tron
The A1 e-tron is without a doubt the most unique, idea-wise, in the up and coming e-tron lineup. This plug-in EV, battery-powered and motivated car, is equipped with a range extender. What is a range extender? It is what allows the A1 e-tron to travel beyond its 50-km all-electric range, up to 250 km, limited by the extender's diminutive 12L gas tank. What does it consist of? It is a single-disk rotary engine with a capacity of 254 cc (15.5 cu in) which constantly runs at 5000 rpm. It serves as generator that produces up to 15 kW (20 hp) in electrical charging power.

Although other manufacturers have delved into this technology, no one is using a single-disk rotary engine to provide supplemental energy to the batteries.

The synchronous electric motor is mounted up front. It generates a continuous output of 45 kW (61 hp) along with a torque rating of 150 Nm (111 lb-ft). Max performance comes in the form of 75 kW (102 hp) and 240 Nm (177 lb-ft) of torque. When requesting all of the A1 e-tron's might, the car will accelerate to 100 km/h in 10.2 seconds on its way to a top speed of over 130 km/h (81 mph). Not too shabby. Also, fuel consumption is rated a 1.9L per 100 km when the Wankel is spinning and, as it does so, it spews only 45 grams of CO2 per km.

Urban drive
Even if this car's life will mostly be spent in an urban environment, it is good to know that this car does drive like a regular Audi.

The A1 has a sophisticated chassis and, thanks to the low front installation of the electric motor and rear-located Wankel engine and mid-rear mounted T-shaped battery pack, the car benefits from a near-perfect weight distribution. Given this and the fact that the A1 tips the scale at little over 2,000 lb (908 kg), it feels quite nimble and stable.

Steering is heavy but straightforward. The car reacts quickly to steering inputs thanks in large part to its low weight. In its segment (Mini Cooper and others), it is at least as good as the best. The brakes are powerful and pedal feel is strong.

All accessories are electric (A/C, power steering, etc) and as there is no engine or transmission constantly in operation, the drive is very quiet. The Audi rep that was in the car with me asked at one point if I could hear the Wankel engine running. I answered that I could not and he assured that it was. I was expecting a rotary engine sound but there was none to be found. Impressive. Specifically, the only compromise with the A1 e-tron's setup is the loss of the space usually reserved for the spare. Otherwise, the trunk is still fully operational.

Once again, as with all things electric, acceleration is instantaneous and very rewarding. An interesting feature about this car is that regenerative braking can be adjusted on many levels. In many hybrid vehicles, selecting “B” with the shift lever increases the brake's regen function. With the A1 e-tron, it is done with the steering-wheel mounted paddles, usually reserved for the DSG gearbox.

It can't come soon enough
The A1 is already a far more desirable car than the A3 and if you factor in this technology, it becomes the ideal posh urban transporter.

Before I end off, it is important to note that this technological setup (electric motor, batteries + range extender) can be applied to the entire range of Audi products. According to them though, there are no immediate plans to do so, but I'm willing to bet that if things work out well with the A1, it will happen.

A test fleet is already in operation in Munich. As of now, there are no specific dates as to when we might expect the car to become available to the masses, however late 2012 could be a possibility.
رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML متاحة

الانتقال السريع

MasrMotors غير مسؤول عن أي اتفاق تجاري أو تعاوني بين الأعضاء
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر عن رأي MasrMotors ولا نتحمل أي مسؤولية قانونية حيال ذلك ويتحمل كاتبها مسؤولية النشر

الساعة الآن 02:55 PM.