العودة   مصر موتورز مجتمع السيارات > منتديات السيارات العامة > سلامتك على الطريق > تقارير اجنبية

تقارير اجنبية خاص بالتقارير الاجنبية والاخبار العالمية المتعلقة بالامان والسلامة المرورية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 17-06-2011, 03:51 AM
ahmed_7erzon ahmed_7erzon غير متواجد حالياً

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2011
المشاركات: 618
ahmed_7erzon will become famous soon enough
افتراضي 2011 Tesla 2.5 Roadster Sport First Impressions

Like most car enthusiasts I know, I've looked upon the last few years with a growing sense of unease about the future of our industry, tempered with acceptance of the inevitable. As someone who loves the exhilaration of guiding a fast car on a twisty road, yet is sick at heart at the number of rapidly vanishing species, I know it's time we ended our voracious consumption of fossil fuels and the devastating consequences of their emissions.

My tester, an Arctic White, fully loaded Sport model valued at $175,000 Cdn, has a removable, roll-up cloth targa top. (Photo: Lesley Wimbush/Auto123.com)

But it's been really difficult to summon any genuine enthusiasm for any of the existing hybrid alternatives on an emotional level. Sure, I've driven some technologically impressive vehicles that fulfill their low consumption/negligible emissions claims admirably, but my pulse doesn't quicken at the memories. And the pious, self-righteousness of some "green **** drivers feels like a wagging finger at the resources-gobbling self-indulgence of those of us who still love the automobile.

Ironically, the ultimate reward for the deep-pocketed enthusiast just happens to be the greenest sports car on the market today.

Tesla, the boutique car manufacturer whose own battles against extinction have been as newsworthy as their revolutionary electric sports car, has just released the Tesla 2.5 Roadster. Available in a base model roadster ($125,000) and a roadster sport ($147,000) with a host of available options, the new Roadster sprints from 0-100 km in 3.7 seconds (sport model).

While the Tesla Roadster's drivetrain remains essentially the same, the exterior has been reworked. There's a host of sound-deadening improvements and electronic upgrades to the cabin and an optional 10-way adjustable suspension system.

Powered entirely by a 70-lb electric motor the size of a watermelon that puts down 288 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque through the single-speed fixed gearbox—the Roadster produces no tailpipe emissions… because it has no tailpipe.

There's no exhaust system, no spark plugs and no oil to replace and dispose of. The battery pack, or Energy Storage System (ESS) consists of 6,381 lithium ion cells and is located in front of the rear axle for better weight distribution. The resulting trunk space isn't cavernous, but there's sufficient room for a bag of clubs or a couple of overnight bags. The ESS can be recharged in six hours by plugging into a 240 amp outlet . In Quebec, which has an abundance of hydroelectric power, this works out to 3¢ per kilowatt hour, while in Ontario it's closer to 10¢ per kw/hr. Purchasers of the Tesla are eligible for a $8,500 refundable tax credit, except—curiously—in British Columbia.

The ESS can be recharged in six hours by plugging into a 240 amp outlet. (Photo: Lesley Wimbush/Auto123.com)

At first glance, the new 2.5 Roadster still resembles the Lotus Elise, Lotus having helped out with chassis development with the original model. But the Roadster is lower and wider and shares only 6% of parts with the Elise. Moulded entirely from carbon fibre, the body is extremely lightweight. Up front, there's an aggressive new fascia and in behind, a new diffuser to channel airflow more efficiently.

My tester, an Arctic White, fully loaded Sport model valued at $175,000 Cdn, has a removable, roll-up cloth targa top. After stowing the top, Hans Ulsrud, Tesla's Regional Sales Manager, tosses me the keys and wishing me a fun drive, remarks that I'm the first Canadian journalist to drive this car. No pressure there.

The seats are beautifully bolstered and hug the body's contours nicely, although I couldn't imagine a large person fitting in them. The cabin itself is more civilized than Elises I've experienced: with plenty of sound deadening insulation, carpet, beautiful leather trim and door panels, heated seats and an Alpine infotainment system consisting of touch-screen Navigation, back-up camera and iPod connectivity.

Bisecting the cabin is an aluminum centre console with illuminated pushbutton gear selectors. On top is an information screen displaying time, temperature, date, direction, range, speed, energy consumption… and g-forces.

The small steering wheel is thick and grippy and steering feels heavy leaving the parking lot. The Tesla is eerily silent; drivers have likened it to travelling in stealth mode, slipping quietly in and out of traffic. It's surprisingly civilized in the thick congestion of downtown's core. Visibility is excellent, although you're travelling very low to the ground. Surprisingly, the mirrors are manually adjustable.

The suspension's firm over rough pavement and streetcar tracks, but not clattery. Turning onto an uphill ramp to the highway, I marvel at the complete lack of hesitation, the immediate application of torque as I accelerate to the top. Faced with a wide open lane, I put the pedal down and my head snaps into the seat rest. Whether changing lanes or accelerating to pass, the response is nimble and instantaneous. Steering is lively and direct and just the right weight. Brembo brakes at each corner are powerfully effective, yet not grabby. The lines of communication are wide open, there's wonderful feedback and an intuitive connection between driver and car.

Reluctant as I am to hand over the Tesla's keys at the end of my drive, I leave feeling that the future is looking much brighter. (Photo: Lesley Wimbush/Auto123.com)

Although $100,000+ exotic sports cars are out of range for most of us, the more accessible Model S four-door sedan is projected for release in 2012. And Tesla's recently announced partnership with Toyota has already resulted in a joint-venture electric RAV4 program, with the possibility of an affordable sports car in the works.

Reluctant as I am to hand over the Tesla's keys at the end of my drive, I leave feeling that the future is looking much brighter.

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML متاحة

الانتقال السريع

MasrMotors غير مسؤول عن أي اتفاق تجاري أو تعاوني بين الأعضاء
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر عن رأي MasrMotors ولا نتحمل أي مسؤولية قانونية حيال ذلك ويتحمل كاتبها مسؤولية النشر

الساعة الآن 03:54 AM.