العودة   مصر موتورز مجتمع السيارات > السيارات الكورية والماليزية > Hyundai هيونداى > HYUNDAI News Archive

HYUNDAI News Archive ارشيف اخبار هيونداى من المواقع العالمية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 17-06-2011, 06:15 AM
ahmed_7erzon ahmed_7erzon غير متواجد حالياً

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2011
المشاركات: 618
ahmed_7erzon will become famous soon enough
افتراضي 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Turbo Limited First Impressions

Hyundai raised eyebrows when it announced that this new-generation Sonata would not be available with a V6.

The three power options would be: 2.4-litre I4, 2.0-litre I4 with direct inject and turbocharging, and electric-gas hybrid.

The turbo essentially replaces the 3.3-litre V6 as the “upgraded” engine option in the Sonata line.

After taking the 2.0 turbo Sonata for a switch-back mountain run, through the hills of Southwestern California, we are ready to say many things to that departing 3.3-litre V6, including… “Sayonara”… “Auf Wiedershen” … “Arrivederci” … and, “Don’t let the door hit you on your way out”.

High Tech Little Wonder
This engine shames that 3.3-litre V6, and is the measure, or betters, the V6 powerplants in many competing vehicles, such as Chevrolet Malibu, Toyota Camry, and Honda Accord. With better fuel economy to boot — 9.3 L/100 km City, and 6.0 L/100 km. It also has an “Eco” mode to further increase fuel efficiency.

It is Hyundai's first engine with both direct injection and turbocharging. Net result, it is a powerhouse.

It produces 274 hp at 6,000 rpm and 269 lb-ft of torque from 1,750 to 4,500 rpm. It wasn’t too long ago that producing 100 horsepower per litre of engine displacement was considered racy and extremely high tech — now we have a totally mainstream sedan from Korea with a mill that produces over 137 hp per litre. And on regular fuel.

It has better numbers than the 2.0-litre EcoBoost in the upcoming Ford Focus ST (246 hp) and the 2.0-litre Ecotec in the Buick Regal (220 hp).

The turbocharger is of a twin-scroll design, which ultimately provides more efficient delivery of exhaust gases to the engine’s turbines, to pretty much eliminate turbo lag (the smaller vane gets up to the desired spinning rate faster than a larger vane, the larger vane allows for lots of boost).

Turbocharging makes engines more powerful by pushing more air into them, but the pushing and compacting of the air, also heats up the air — which is not desirable for combustion. To that end, the exhaust manifold and the turbine housing are cast in a one-piece, stainless steel piece — to displace more heat, and for increased durability.

Another novel aspect of the turbo unit is its motor-driven electrical waste gate, to precisely control boost pressure. The backpressure is reduced when turbo boost is not necessary by opening the waste gate, which improves fuel efficiency. In addition, during cold starts, the waste gate remains open, which results in faster engine warm up (less emissions).

Compact Powertrain
The motor is hooked up to the same 6-speed automatic as the 2.4-litre Sonata. Hyundai is one of only a few automakers to design and build its own 6-speed automatics, and designed this one to be very light and compact. Combined with the also light and compact 2.0-litre, makes for a very svelte powertrain — allowing Sonata to have a very stellar power-to-weight ratio of 5.5 kg per horsepower.

Satisfying Power Delivery
Only on the very brief run up to 2,000 rpm, does this engine feel somewhat different to a V6 of equal power. I think I still prefer how a big V6 smoothly dispatches those first few metres from a dead stop, but after that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between this 2.0-litre I4 and various 3.0-plus-litre V6s on the market.

It feels lusty and luxurious in every driving scenario, but particularly excels when you’re already at highway speeds, and looking for warp speed to get around another vehicle, or just accelerating towards the horizon for the hell of it.

It transforms the rather, workman-like Sonata, into a machine you can have a lot of fun with. (It would be even more fun with a manual, which is not on offer).

Cabin Comforts
V6s are inherently smoother than I4s, particularly those equipped with an NVH-inducing turbocharger.

But I found the Sonata 2.0 Turbo to be very refined. Again, I’m pretty sure that in a blind taste test, most drivers would be hard pressed to identify this engine as an over-achieving four and not a V6.

If you want all this turbo goodness, you’ll have to opt for one of three trim lines, all at the high end of the Sonata hierarchy — the $28,999 2.0T, the $31,749 2.0T Limited, and the $33,499 2.0T Limited with Navigation.

The 2.0T also introduces some new features for Sonata: 18-inch silver alloy wheels; dual exhaust system; steering wheel mounted paddle shifters.

The Sonata line starts at $22,000, so the turbo engine is definitely being billed and bundled as a premium piece. Time will tell if consumers are ready to accept a “four” as a premium midsize powerplant. But the time is already here, when a “four” can motive a midsize car with sizzle and sophistication.
رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML متاحة

الانتقال السريع

MasrMotors غير مسؤول عن أي اتفاق تجاري أو تعاوني بين الأعضاء
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر عن رأي MasrMotors ولا نتحمل أي مسؤولية قانونية حيال ذلك ويتحمل كاتبها مسؤولية النشر

الساعة الآن 09:16 AM.