العودة   مصر موتورز مجتمع السيارات > السيارات الكورية والماليزية > Hyundai هيونداى > HYUNDAI News Archive

HYUNDAI News Archive ارشيف اخبار هيونداى من المواقع العالمية

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 17-06-2011, 06:11 AM
ahmed_7erzon ahmed_7erzon غير متواجد حالياً

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2011
المشاركات: 618
ahmed_7erzon will become famous soon enough
افتراضي 2011 Hyundai Elantra First Impressions

Is it getting hot in here? The competition is fierce! You can almost cut the tension with a knife! Yes, the compact car war rages on and like most warm-blooded humans, I love a good fight.

If you're thinking new compact car in your near future, you're in luck. The Chevrolet Cruze, the Mazda3, the Kia Forte, the Volkswagen Jetta, the next Ford Focus, the upcoming new Honda Civic and the all-new Elantra are all aiming to please. In this lot, it's all gold. Design AND economy have never been more in the forefront as they are now.

The matter at hand: the 2011 Hyundai Elantra. What's a Hyundai? You're obviously not hip as this Korean manufacturer has been named one of the hottest brands. They are the makers of some of the most popular cars in Canada.

Hyundai's had a banner year. The month of December is still a few weeks away from being over and everyday, they are setting a new sales record. In fact, as of October 29th 2010, they had already busted their all-time numbers (103,234). Can they maintain the momentum? According to Hyundai, the new Elantra will practically ensure it.

Viva la difference!
Hyundai is making stunning cars these days. This is a relatively new phenomenon as they were not recognized for beauty when they started out. Honestly, the Excel was cute but the Stellar, which could only have been best described as “pre-crashed for your convenience” (thank you Michael LaFave), was simply dreadful. The times, they are a changin'.

On the heels of the best-ever-looking Sonata, handsome Tucson and eye-catching Genesis duo comes the new Elantra, joining the ranks of the modern Hyundai.

So, the Elantra is one hot, perhaps the most blistering, compact car of the moment. It's fluid. It flows. It has waves and it sports Hyundai's new-found front end à la Sonata. It all really works. Unlike the Germans or the Japanese, the Koreans have thrown subtlety off the boat and it's working. I like it. You'll probably like it too. As you walk around it, you'll notice flared fenders, a rounded tail, wraparound head and taillights and, if you're circumnavigating a Limited, some tasty 17” Euroflange alloys. Yes, it's all there folks.

And once more, Hyundai knocks one out of the ballpark with another genial cabin design that is sure to please both young and old. It's all about perceived quality and value, and Hyundai's got it in droves. The seats, especially the cloth-covered ones (leather is available), are supportive and cozy. There's plenty of room for four passengers and a large trunk for more than a weekend’s worth of fun.

I want to make something clear here. I and many of my colleagues have repeatedly said that the latest from Hyundai all get an “A” for design. You might be thinking that we said the same about the Honda Civic 5 years ago and that now, we're all stating that it looks old and dated. What's to prevent the Elantra from suffering the same fate? Compare the Sonata to the Accord. The Tucson to the CR-V. It's all about a design language and philosophy.

Driving Miss Elantra
Sure, the Elantra is nice and that'll surely get potential buyers inside dealerships, but that doesn't mean it's sold. Luckily for the salesperson, Hyundai thought to blend dynamic style with a better than expected drive. First thumbs-up goes to the electrically-assisted steering that weighs up smartly as speed piles on. Next, the 4-wheel disc brakes (one of the rare compact cars to offer them as standard fare) are surprisingly competent.

Handling is vastly improved, thanks in large part to a 37% stiffer structure and the standard-for-Canada Continental tires. On the twisty mountain roads east of San Diego, the Elantra fared especially well. If you're an existing owner of an Elantra, you will not believe the difference. If you're a Civic or Mazda3 proprietor, a compromise you will not be making.

Although Hyundai did ameliorate the car's noise insulation, particularly with pillar foam and dual seals on the doors, the Elantra is still fairly aural. The culprit is the new Nu 1.8L 4-cylinder mill. From just over 3,000 rpm, is vibration and harshness penetrates into the cabin, far more than in a new Chevrolet Cruze or even a Ford Fiesta. It's a shame, however this is the Elantra's principle setback.

40 mpg
That's in US mpg. In Canada, in Imperial mpg, it works out to 48 mpg. This number is equal or greater than many hybrids on sale today. That's 4.9L on the highway, and whether you choose a 6-speed automatic (a rarity in the segment) or the 6-speed manual transmission. In the city, the official numbers are mind-blowing still: 6.9L/100 km with the AT, 6.8 with the 6M. How's that for proof that the ICE still holds much potential? These figures are on par or lower than those of the Chevy Cruze Eco and subcompact Ford Fiesta.

The 1.8L engine has much going for it. It develops 148 hp and 131 lb-ft of torque. These stats are superior to the heavier and older-design Beta 2.0L. The Nu (that’s the engine’s name) uses multi-port injection. I was curious as to why Hyundai engineers selected this type of fuel delivery over their excellent GDI (gas direct-injection) and they answered that the Nu was conceived with the ability to accept GDI. More good news down the line me thinks.

Although equally or more powerful than all of its current competition (2012 Focus will take the crown when it arrives), the Elantra's performance is far from being barn-burning. That would be useless. Nonetheless, highway passing actions required everything the motor had, while the transmission held its gears as long as it could. No worse than most and certainly no better.

In a showroom near you!

The 2011 Elantra is popping in dealerships just in time for Christmas. With a base price of $15,849, the newly minted car is not the least expensive car in its segment, however, but I'm sure you can see me coming: it is one if the most value-packed compacts.

Standard equipment includes six airbags, ABS with brake-force distribution and brake assist, electronic stability program, vehicle stability management and tonnes more. You can even get front and rear heated seats (included with GLS and Limited), leather, navigation with a 7” screen, sunroof, climate control and intelligent key.

Trim levels range from L, GL, GLS to Limited. The highest take-rate should be for the GL and it retails for $17,999. Add $1,200 for the autobox. If you are so inclined, $24,699 will land you with a Limited with nav.

The new Elantra should help Hyundai reach its goal of having the best-selling car in the compact class. Currently, it is bested, in order, by the Civic, Mazda3 and Corolla. As it stands, I can see it matching the 3 sooner than later. As for matching the Civic, it may take a while but by then, a new Civic will have arrived...
رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML متاحة

الانتقال السريع

MasrMotors غير مسؤول عن أي اتفاق تجاري أو تعاوني بين الأعضاء
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر عن رأي MasrMotors ولا نتحمل أي مسؤولية قانونية حيال ذلك ويتحمل كاتبها مسؤولية النشر

الساعة الآن 06:10 PM.